Volunteer – Administrator
Volunteering as an Administrator at our Head Office
Our volunteer administrators will support the staff team in all aspects of administration from answering the telephone, preparing mail outs, to updating our database. You will be based at our head office at the Mary Stevens Centre in Oldswinford, Stourbridge.
Our volunteers will have the opportunity to experience office work in a supportive environment.
What will I do?
Here are some of the things we might ask you to do:
- Provide general administration support to Dudley Mind staff including filing, photocopying, shredding, letter writing.
- Undertake reception duties, including answering the telephone and responding to, or redirecting calls as appropriate.
- Undertake reception duties
- Input confidential data into, and maintain, the Psiams database system.
- Deal with incoming and outgoing post.
- Respond to enquiries via email.
- Assist with updating the Dudley Mind website.
- Order and maintain stationary supplies.
- Prepare information packs to be sent out.
What skills, qualities or experience will I need?
- We welcome people who have their own lived experience of mental distress who can be open about their own experiences whilst maintaining boundaries
- An ability to use IT, the Internet and Microsoft Office applications
- A polite telephone manner to talk to people on the phone when dealing with enquiries.
- Experience of volunteering or working in an office environment.
- An ability to listen to others and communicate well with a wide range of people is essential
- An ability to do some basic admin tasks such as photocopying, recording information, filing, or shredding.
- An understanding of the stigma and discrimination people with mental health issues face in their everyday lives
- An ability to take responsibility for own wellbeing and seek support when needed
- A willingness to attend any training that might be required, also support and supervision sessions on a regular basis
- You will be expected to follow our policies and procedures such as our confidentiality policy and our health and safety procedures.
How much time will I give?
Our head office is open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday so we would need our volunteer to be available for at least a few hours during those times.
When you come for your initial discussion with us we will ask you which days and times are best for you and will do our best to accommodate you within the confines of our opening hours. We recognise that you will have appointments, holidays and other commitments so we can be flexible, but we do ask that you let us know well in advance if you cannot attend meetings or events so we can put plans in place.
What can I expect from Dudley Mind?
We really value our volunteers and want to make your volunteering experience with us a positive one so we will provide the following:
- A named person for you to work alongside
- Training about mental health – usually the nationally recognised Mental Health First Aid course
- Other training relevant to your activity e.g. training on our internal systems, health and safety briefings
- An induction including an introduction to the policies and procedures we will expect you to follow
- Regular support and supervision sessions where you can discuss any concerns you might have
- Access to any newsletters or e-bulletins we provide to keep you up to date
- A safe and inclusive space to volunteer
- A friendly welcome from the rest of the team
- Out of pocket expenses within our agreed guidelines
- We can also provide a reference for you if you have been volunteering with us for more than 6 months
What do I do next?
Please fill out the application form below telling us about your skills, knowledge and experience relevant to this volunteer role, and also the Equal Opportunities form which will remain anonymous and is used for evaluation purposes only.
Return it to us and we will invite you in for a discussion about what we do and what you would like to offer.
As we work with vulnerable adults if you are accepted as a volunteer we will ask you to complete a DBS check before you can start to work alongside individuals who are attending our activities. We will also ask for references from the people you have nominated on your form.
If we do not have capacity at this moment in time to take any more volunteers we will let you know when we receive your application form and keep your details on file for 6 months.